Nathan and Cianna photo by Snapshot Sisters

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Baby bumblebee

This morning I was having a conversation with Nathan. The older he gets the more we are able to have some sort of flow of related words back and forth, although these are generally not "conversations" in the more traditional adult sense. It's a bit more like free association at times, I say something and Nathan says whatever comes to his mind that relates to one of the words, often a song.
Nathan wanted to sing a song, which he calls "Baby Mine" (I'm not sure what the actual title is, but "Baby Mine works fine). The lyrics are "You get a line, I'll get a pole, honey/ You get a line, I'll get a pole, babe/ You get a line, I'll get a pole/ we'll go down to the crawdad hole/ honey, oh baby mine". Nathan: "Baby mine". We sang it. "Baby mine again". We sang it again. "Baby mine, again". Okay, starting to get sick of this! So, since we are on the subject of "baby mine", and to provide a distraction from this darn song, I discussed babies. I told Nathan he used to be a baby, he grew in mommy's tummy. Then I asked Nathan if he'd like to have a baby brother or sister. "Baby brother", said Nathan quite clearly, surprising me. And then, enthusiastically, "baby bumblebee!" I guess he'd rather have a bumblebee! And of course, I'm sick of that song too.

2 comments:

  1. i don't know. it seems like i know quite a few adults who have those "free association" pseudoconversations, too.

    baby bumblebee is a terrible song. i'll be singing it all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly is a terrible song! I didn't teach it to him. He learned it at school and came home requesting it, taking my hands and cupping them and saying "Bumblebee". Sigh.

    ReplyDelete