We've been working for a long, long time on teaching Nathan to say his name. It's frustrating because I know that he knows he is Nathan, he responds to his name, he can say it, but he always answers the question "What's your name?" with "Name", if he answers it at all. Of course, strangers always ask this question and/or "how old are you?". I've had pretty good success telling him, "Nathan, say 4", and he will say "4", but he really doesn't answer that one on his own either. I don't think he gets the concept of being 4, but I know he gets the concept of being Nathan.
On April 13th, he actually answered that question with "My is Nanan"! Soooo awesome! Just the once and that was it, he was back to "name". Maybe he figured he's told me once, and I really should know it already anyway (hello, lady, you named me), and he's done telling me. At his private preschool, they have a song that involves asking each kid to say his or her name. It goes something like "Icky bicky bumblebee/ can you say your name for me?/ What's your name?" The teacher then points at a child, who says his or her name. Repeat times 20 kids. Today, Nathan was singing "Icky buddlebee, camma sayma name a me?" and so I asked him "What's your name?" I had to prompt him with the "my" or the "my name" but three times I did get him to say variations on "is Nanan"! Yay!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment