Nathan and Cianna photo by Snapshot Sisters

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Oh, it's what you do to cats

Nathan continues to find great amusement in putting cats in songs where there are not cats. We've got numerous songs which have been completely overrun with cats such that they no longer make sense (Mumford and Sons "Roll Away Your Stone", for example has become so inundated with cats as to lose all sense of its non-cat self). A new favorite is "Hey, There Delilah" by the Plain White T's. He asks me for "What you do to me", and then wants to change it to "oh, it's what you do to cats". He also especially likes the line about the guitar and will ask for that part over and over again "the guitar". "Hey there Delilah I know times are getting hard But just believe me, girl Someday I'll pay the bills with this guitar We'll have it good We'll have the life we knew we would My word is good" I sing it, but then I feel obligated to tell Nathan that most musicians actually have quite a bit of trouble paying the bills with a guitar. He also likes to ask me for various songs in Spanish. "Espanol?". That works when I know the song in Spanish. Today I had to tell him that I do not know "Hey There Delilah" in Spanish and so we're going to have to sing something else. I offered "Malti", which is in Spanish. "Cats?", he asked. I told him that if he wants to put superfluous cats in Spanish songs, they will need to be superfluous gatos instead. Thus: "malti, malti ya es verano ¿por quĂ© no levantamos temprano? nunca repetimos hoy lleno del sol y viento soy nunca repetimos hoy lleno del sol y viento soy baila, baila en las olas nadaremos en las olas nunca repetimos hoy lleno del sol y viento soy nunca repetimos hoy lleno del sol y viento soy ay di di lai di di lai di di gato ay di di lai di di lai di di gato" Of course, superfluous gatos were a hit!
(Nathan on a recent day, lleno de sol y viento-- full of the sun and the wind).

No comments:

Post a Comment