Tomorrow it will have been 2 weeks since Cianna was born and all this change descended upon our family.
Nathan has seemed mad at me about the whole baby thing, preferring his daddy, who has been spending lots of time with him while I am latched to a baby (or rather her to me). Today, though, he seemed to want to snuggle with me at nap time (though not, as it happens, to nap at all), so maybe he is forgiving me some. He has not seemed mad at Cianna, though; he knows who to blame for all this.
Nathan is still enjoying singing "no baby no cry", and has now taken to saying "oh my little sister" when he sees her. He's still into kissing her, and today got down on the floor for some tummy time with her. He was pretty into his long-forgotten baby toys, too!
Cianna is eating and growing, nearly back to her birthweight. She has a pediatric appointment tomorrow but since I already own an infant scale I went ahead and weighed her yesterday. She was 6 lb 12 oz, back up from a low of 6 lb 4 oz. I really intended NOT to be paranoid about this baby's weight and had left the scale in the closet when preparing for her arrival BUT the doctor we saw for her first checkup suggested I bring her in in a week for a nurse weight check, and I told her I actually own a highly accurate infant scale and could go ahead and check her weight at home (I did, last week, and saw she was beginning to gain). I bought the scale when Nathan was a baby. After the daily weight checks in the NICU, during which I agonized about every half ounce, I wanted to weigh him in between the weekly weight checks at the doctor's office. I'm not going to go all crazy obsessive with Cianna, though; she's eating, she's gaining, and she's going to be fine. Sometimes all she wants is to be latched on to me. This too is very different than my tiny preemie who couldn't breastfeed! It's nice to be able to calm her down readily, but it does make for being rather chained to a baby, whereas with Nathan, since I was pumping, his dad could also feed him, and either of us could take him and try various things to calm him down. This baby wants to suck, and that's all about mom.
Seems like every evening she just wants to be latched on, falls asleep, wakes up if I put her down and wants back on. This evening since Nathan and his daddy are out looking at owls together, I took her for a short walk in the stroller, her first stroller ride. It's a carseat in a stroller frame, and she's been crying in her carseat, so I expected it could go poorly. Nah, she fell asleep and is sleeping there still. So at the moment I get to type with two hands, at the computer instead of on my phone. And make dinner!
We've had visits from grandparents, and other than that we're just settling in to a world with two kids.
I'm doing well in terms of my recovery from the c-section. I had some of the discomforts one expects after such a surgery, but pretty much everything is resolved, I have rediscovered my ankles which had ballooned up for some reason, and I no longer appear pregnant, which is nice since I no longer am pregnant. Of course, I am still healing and not to lift heavy items, etc, but tomorrow I am officially allowed to drive again.
Here are a few pics of the kids: Nathan kissing his sister as well as showing her how tummy time is done.




No comments:
Post a Comment