This began as a blog about parenting my son Nathan, who has Down Syndrome, as well as my thoughts on topics relating to disability. With the addition of Nathan's sister to our family, the focus is now on the development, both typical and atypical, of my kids, as well as my thoughts. Watching development unfold is amazing, whatever the pace.
Nathan and Cianna photo by Snapshot Sisters
Thursday, March 12, 2015
8!
I'm not sure how it happened, but somehow Nathan turned 8. We had a very Nathan birthday with some of his friends, music, and pizza. We asked friends not to bring gifts as Nathan sometimes gets stressed and overwhelmed by them, and I didn't bake a cake since he really doesn't do sweets. He had a great time and we did some carefully selected gifts after the party as well as letting him choose a toy with a gift card the day before-- that way I could be sure he'd like it! A friend from the class he mainstreams in to came to his party and wrote him the sweetest card complete with a poem (you are neat/ you've got the beat...)! Another friend who is less verbal made a hard with her handprints! Lots of fun and Cianna enjoyed herself too. I had spent a lot of time explaining that Nathan's party was about things Nathan likes, which might not be the same as what she'd like. So she was prepared for and able to cope with the lack of cake. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment