This began as a blog about parenting my son Nathan, who has Down Syndrome, as well as my thoughts on topics relating to disability. With the addition of Nathan's sister to our family, the focus is now on the development, both typical and atypical, of my kids, as well as my thoughts. Watching development unfold is amazing, whatever the pace.
Nathan and Cianna photo by Snapshot Sisters
Friday, December 20, 2013
Kids
Nathan has been increasingly interested in other kids. At times when I mention going to the park he will say "kids". He really seems to gravitate towards people who are shooting hoops but also kids, particularly boys engaged in any sport or skateboarding. Nathan doesn't know how to participate with them, and at times his interactions are inappropriate, but he's developing an interest. A lot of times I don't know how to help him to do what he wants to do, and what he doesn't want is for mom to bring a ball too and we play parallel to the others. He's not too interested in that anymore, he wants to be with the kids. I have a meeting with the case manager from our health plan and staff from a behavioral company that serves kids with autism in order to discuss behavioral services for Nathan. This has been a lengthier process than I anticipated but I believe we will start services in January. My goal would be that they help him with these interactions so that he can engage with others and play. One thing that makes it hard is his motor delays. Most any game or sport needs a lot of modification for Nathan to be physically able to play. That coupled with the social skill deficits that are the hallmark of the autism diagnosis make playing outside with peers really challenging. But I'm seeing progress in his level if interest and I'm hopeful we can get some help to assist him in accessing some of the things he wants to do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment