Nathan and Cianna photo by Snapshot Sisters

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Grateful

I just read this http://adayinourshoes.com/parenting-a-child-with-disabilities-battle-fatigue/
It's about the constant battles special needs parents fight, with IEP plans to get what they need in school, and with insurance companies, etc.  And I just have to say that I feel so blessed not to have to fight battles in most of these arenas. Our IEPs are pleasant meetings of people who genuinely care for my child and want to help him succeed. No, really. I am not making this up. I like these people. They like my kid. I could hug them. All 11 of them. 

I had a go-round with our insurance company about speech therapy this year and I lost. But we've had no battles about medical care, other specialists, or obtaining prescriptions, including the prescription for the pull-ups that get delivered every month. Even when I've wanted to change sizes or brands and needed a new script. We had a great pediatrician and when she left, we got one who is possibly even more amazing. I could hug them too.

We are fortunate to live in a community with lots of recreational activities for people with disabilities. This is of course because of a lot of wonderful volunteers who put in many hours. Big hugs to them as well. Many of them are working parents of kids with disabilities who do the volunteer stuff on top of everything else.

We recently lost a wonderful mother and grandmother to cancer. She was a person who practiced gratitude in daily life and never failed to let people know how much she appreciated them. I'm hoping to honor her memory by incorporating the practice of gratitude more frequently in my life. I have a lot to be grateful for. And she would have hugged all these people too.

No comments:

Post a Comment