I'm actually doing okay with all this. Didn't even cry when they told me. I guess I had already come to terms with the idea when I scheduled the evaluation. It's just a label to describe symptoms that are already present, and since its a label that is the focus of lots of attention and treatment right now, it's a label that may allow for more services to help Nathan.
This began as a blog about parenting my son Nathan, who has Down Syndrome, as well as my thoughts on topics relating to disability. With the addition of Nathan's sister to our family, the focus is now on the development, both typical and atypical, of my kids, as well as my thoughts. Watching development unfold is amazing, whatever the pace.
Nathan and Cianna photo by Snapshot Sisters
Saturday, August 17, 2013
ASD
We visited the autism spectrum disorders clinic, and after a 4 1/2 hour appointment plus processing paperwork that took me hours to complete and reviewing the comprehensive records I sent, they did make a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder secondary to Down syndrome. So, Nathan has this diagnosis and it may net him some additional services now and in the future. We've been approved for an assessment for applied behavior analysis (behavior therapy) and have an appointment also with a speech therapist and occupational therapist tomorrow-- Nathan already receives these therapies at school but it is possible our health insurance will offer additional therapy due to the additional diagnosis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment