I've been talking with Nathan about the baby-in-tummy.
If I ask him what's in mommy's tummy, he had been telling me "Cat. Meow."
Today, I asked him again. "What's in mommy's tummy?".
"Tummy", said Nathan.
"Yes, but what's inside mommy's tummy?"
"Baby pig," said Nathan.
"No, not a baby pig! A baby sister. A baby sister is a little person."
"Little-ittle-ittle person".
"Right, a person. Like you. Baby sister. So, what's in Mommy's tummy?"
"Baby pig".
I asked him again a bit later, and got the same response, "Baby pig". He also lifted up his shirt and touched his own tummy. I told him there was nothing in his tummy but yogurt.
"Mmmm, yogurt. I want". And the discussion of babies was pretty much done.
A colleague pointed out that no matter how much we might try to talk about this issue and prepare Nathan, no child is going to be totally prepared for the reality of this baby coming home and staying. Thinking back, even though I was a grown-up and knew a fair amount about what I was getting into, I did not really understand the reality of having a baby at home until I had one. How could I possibly expect Nathan to? We'll keep talking about it, but it will really sink in come January when this baby comes home... and doesn't leave. And won't he be surprised when it's a baby human, not a cat or a piglet... or yogurt.


No comments:
Post a Comment