Nathan and Cianna photo by Snapshot Sisters

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"My plate" -- implementing the new food "pyramid"

Perhaps you've seen the new USDA "My plate" food recommendations that replace the food pyramid. If not, here is a link. The idea is that half the plate is fruit and veggies. Sounds like a good thing in general. Anybody having trouble applying this recommendation to their kids' plates, though? Or to put it another way, is anybody not?

Nathan eats exactly one fresh fruit, oranges. He will eat raisins, any fruit freeze-dried, and a few canned fruits. He will eat strawberries pureed and mixed in his yogurt, but forget about giving him a strawberry. If he's feeling nice he'll hand it back instead of throwing it. Also, I have learned that cutting up a fresh peach into little cubes does not fool him into thinking it is a canned peach, even if I add a little sugar. Nathan eats two vegetables: green beans and asparagus. I've had a little success with leafy greens while singing Mock Orange's Holiday Dinner Song which includes the line "Rice and beans, leafy greens!", but this is hit or miss (more miss than hit).
He does drink V8, the low-sodium tomato kind (I have not bothered with the partly-fruit-juice kind since he will drink the other), so I should really count my blessings there.

Today at lunch I gave him a piece of toast with cheese, half and orange, and a glass of V8. Seems like roughly half fruits and veggies there. He finished and said "peaches?" I got him some freeze-dried peaches. "'Sparagus?" Me: "I'm sorry, we don't have any asparagus." And then, remembering: "We have canned asparagus." I find canned asparagus to be vile, I don't eat that stuff. It is leftover from camping with Nathan. "Would you like that?" Nathan: "Please".

Um, okay. Maybe this isn't going to be so hard after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment