Nathan and Cianna photo by Snapshot Sisters

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Using words

Nathan's verbal ability is one of his strengths. He can pronounce many sounds, sings pretty much constantly, memorizes and recites phrases from his books, and repeats things like a little parrot. This is wonderful. BUT... I'd really like him to be able to communicate what he wants or needs. What often happens is he gets upset and starts to fuss and cry until I figure out what he wants. If I put on music and it's not what he wanted he'll cry until I put on the right music. Asking him "do you want x? Do you want y?" yields no answer, or he'll repeat back the last word I said but cry harder when I put it on since it is not really what he wants. Sometimes I can figure it out (crying ensues when I say it's bathtime or we're going grocery shopping) and sometimes I can't (Does something hurt? Are you hungry? Do you want me to sing? What???).
Today we've had a few communication successes. These might not be big to anybody with a typically developing kid, but to me they are huge.
This morning, Nathan got up, went to his room, and sat in the rocking chair. I asked him, "Do you want Bob (Marley)?". "Music", said Nathan. "Rocketship". He didn't want Bob. He wanted Laurie Berkner's Rocketship Run. And he told me so!
Later we went grocery shopping. As I was putting groceries away, Nathan came into the kitchen and grabbed on to my legs. Coming into the kitchen and attaching himself to me usually means he is hungry. "I'm going to make lunch", I told him. "Do you want..." I was about to give him a choice, figuring he'd repeat back the second of 2 options. "Yogurt", he told me. Awesome. Nathan had yogurt for lunch.
Later, when I told Nathan it was time for dinner, he said "luff. luff." "Love? You love dinner?" "MEATluff!" "Oh, honey, meatloaf requires preparation; it is not a last-minute order. We're having fish." Just because he can request appropriately does not mean the request can always be honored!

1 comment:

  1. It IS a big deal, even to someone with a typically developing kid! Way to go...you can ride this wave for awhile. =)

    ReplyDelete